Ok, I know you can buy Mott’s applesauce for around $3. Just to buy apples for applesauce will cost more than that. But it will taste as good or better than gramma made! You may save money, based on how much you will yield but that’s not why you want to do it. It’s the taste and a low calorie, low sugar comfort food.
I bought apples at 10lbs for $10 and bought a mix of organic gala and braeburn, but only because those were the sale ones.
6 lbs apples, peeled and cored
½ c cane sugar
½ c water
Juice from 1 grapefruit
Zest from 1 grapefruit or candied grapefruit or other citrus if you have it
½ T Cinnamon
- Peel and core the apples. You don’t have to be perfect on this because it will be strained later.
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Cook on medium low heat for 20 min, stirring occasionally
- When tender put through a food mill
- Check for the amount of liquid. If it’s too liquidy put back in the pot and reduce. It will absorb a little liquid when it cools.
- Serve hot or cold, alone or with grilled meats.